Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What does Will Smith have to do to win an Oscar?


I am a huge Will Smith fan! HUUUGE!!! I have seen everything he's done. I have a growing collection of his movies, minus Six Degrees of Separation and Made In America! (Those are personal choices of mine...lol) Both times he was nominated for an Oscar...I watched with the same intensity of an ultimate sports fan watching the big championship game! Cheering at the screen, when his name was announced (as nominee), clapping/excited when I saw his performance (the film clip), completely silent at the height of the big moment (as the envelop was opened), and OUTRAGED/disappointed when all was lost (his name wasn't called)!

TWO TIMES this has happened to me! And both times, the first in 2001 (losing to Denzel Washington-Training Day), the second in 2007 (losing to Forest Whitaker-The Last King of Scotland), I've just sucked it up and said, like any dedicated sports fan, "we'll get'em next time." But then it dawned on me...what more does Will have to do in order to win?! Don't get me wrong, Denzel and Forest are fine actors...wait GREAT ACTORS, but the years they beat him out, I don't know if the were the "better men." I mean in 2001, Training Day vs. Ali...ALI?!! In 2007, The Last King of Scotland vs. The Pursuit of Happyness? Now the Academy spoke loud and clear, but I just can't figure out what else they are looking for. (THAT TOPIC FOR ANOTHER TIME.)

THE GAME PLAN:
It's time for Will Smith to play a different kind of role, something his never done before. Maybe a bad guy, but if he goes that route, the character should be one ruthless s.o.b!

THE KEY:
He to America, to the world, has a clean image...almost too clean though! The kind of image that eventhough he does a great job in his performances, because of his charm and wit, we can't help but see WILL SMITH in all his characters! The key to that Oscar is for you/me/us as the viewer to "lose" just for a second who the actor is on screen and only see the character. (best example Jamie Foxx-Ray)

The reason we were nominated twice, is because we got close to this twice! The Ali and Chris Gardener characters were almost big enough to overshadow the man they call BIG WILL! I think he is close or is getting closer to acheiving this but only time will tell. I like the direction he was going in Seven Pounds, yet after I saw the film, I didn't see Oscar. But it's coming...oh yeah, it's coming!

What do you think? What will it take?

5 comments:

Dre' Leon said...

yea he definitely should have one an oscar for Ali! side note - it was directed by my favorite director, Michael Mann....

i honestly haven't seen pursuit of happyness so i can't say nay or yay. but i heard he put on a great performance as expected.

Will Smith is one of the greatest actors of our time but he has a lot of things going against him.

1.) As you stated he is Will Smith. He is the Tom Cruise to the Afro-American community. I'm not comparing him to Tom Cruise or anything. Basically his films are blockbuster and money makers no matter what. He is a go to actor.

2.) He is an Afro-America Male. nuff said.

3.) He started out as a comedian. I know your think what does that mean? Well lets look/think of past comedians who won...don't worry i'll wait........

Lets see Whoopi Goldberg won Best Supporting Actress for Ghost (90'). Tom Hanks won 2, Forrest Gump (92') and Philadelphia (93'). i'm sure there are a FEW others but that's all i can think of...so basically in the 80 yrs of the academy awards only a handful of comedians won the award.

Yes, Tom Hanks started off as a comedian it wasn't until he made the switch into more dramatic roles (and consistently played them) did he win the statue.

Did Eddie Murphy do a great job in Dreamgirls and should he have won it over Alan Arkin (Grandpa in Little Miss Sunshine)...you could argue that but once again review bullets 2 and 3.

I also think it has something to do w/ consistancy. you have to consistently play in "serious" roles and good movies to win the award.

Like you said Will Smith is moving in the right direction and will definitely win a oscar or two or three...

you know i'm not saying its right but it is what it is...

-Armon

Dre' Leon said...

i forgot about jamie foxx for ray but you covered that in your post. besides that year Jamie Foxx gave the academy no choice but to give him an award...he was nominated twice one for collateral (michael mann) for best supporting actor and the other ray for best actor...

i know the academy doesn't have much credibilty as is but i know they were not trying to lose what little they had left by skipping over jamie that year...

J.T. Boyd said...

@ u kid a...man was that a mouth full, but all was truth! I never looked at his comic origins as a factor, simply because with him it seems he can do anything he wants to do! But like I said...how true!

Those 3 bullets you pointed out was big...HUGE!

Niki McNeill Brown said...

I just wanna say I totally agree Will should have gotten the Oscar for Ali and JT I love your blog so far! Keep it up :)

J.T. Boyd said...

Thanks Nikki...I'm tryiing to get on Armon's level! lol.