Tuesday, August 18, 2009

SCREENPLAYS ANYONE? Can we make original movies nowadays?

It seems like getting a script in the hands of Hollywood "movers and shakers" is a daunting task. Trust me I know...I've been trying since 2007!

And after I saw films like Nick Cannon's The Underclassman...(let me make myself clear) by "saw" I did not mean, watch! And I think we all know why, I felt that I had a sure shot to get my script made into a movie.

Well...the road has been a little bumpy, but I'm getting closer. Let's keep our fingers crossed! MOVIES ARE POWERFUL TOOLS OR ENTERTAINMENT...LET'S NOT WASTE IT!



DISTRICT 9-- has come along and injected into cinema what different should look like. Grant it, being different and not having A list actors, doesn't always generate HUGE opening weekend numbers but as long as the quality is there...the message and impact will be made! (i.e. Cloverfield)

I look forward to more original stories coming to Hollywood! Studio execs understand the importance of fan bases. That is why everyone's favorite, cartoon, superhero, book, etc are getting made into movies. But we are steering too far in that direction. Because they know the formula is simple: take familar material + hope the fan base supports it in theaters/dvd = BOX OFFICE BLOWOUT! A-LIST actors are paid sooo well because they generate or have their own the fan base.

But let's give all the little guys a shot! I have a big-budget blockbuster mind, so I shouldn't have to be forced to make my script into an Independent Film just to be seen.


BTW...I might watch The Underclassman.( on HBO) Because as I always say...every movie deserves a chance. Just not my money!

1 comment:

Dre' Leon said...

the underclassman? man i am slippin...that is two in a row that i didn't know.

but i feel ya on District 9 - great movie! one of the best this year and to think that it was only made w/ $30 mil.

kinda remind me of a "little" movie called City of God which was made for $8 mil.

although you are not always guarenteed a blockbuster these two movies are examples of what happens when you give unknown actors and directors a chance.

as for slumdog millionaire...well lets not talk about that overhyped and underwhelming movie, lets save that for another day...of course that is my opinion!